- Not great. Not even particularly good. But exciting enough to hold attention.
- Some really dumb plot contrivances. Putting the Enterprise under water. Pretending Kirk was actually going to die. Trying to make us think Kahn wasn’t the “villain.” Building a super powerful military complex and then having Scotty be able to fly right into it without being questioned or stopped. And so forth.
- Tried to make characters work. Tried to show us Kirk, Scotty and Spock develop. Some interesting moments for or between these characters.
- Well acted.
- Well filmed in that, unlike Man of Steel, you could always follow the action even when characters were moving super quickly.
- An entertaining, but flawed action flick that would have done well to avoid the conveniences of “we need this to happen in order to tell the story we want” plot holes.
- Final Grade: C